Thursday, February 26, 2009

A small victory

Have you ever had those days where you knew all day you were going to go to the gym - but then suddenly it's almost dinner time, or it's time to go to work, or go to a meeting... and you don't? Well, that was today for me. Hang on though... much like Grover finds "A Monster at the End of this Book" - I found a "victory at the end of this story." :)

I am currently having some trouble making money, as babysitting has been a bit slow this month. The only upside to this is that I have ended up having a lot of days free - allowing for good amounts of sleep, good lengthy workouts, and lots of time to be creative in my artistic endeavors. Today was set to be a productive day, beginning at 8 am, when I had set my alarm. I woke up, wrote down my to-do list, looked back at my bed... thinking about how I had no pressing schedule until babysitting this evening... and crawled back in. Oops! Obstacle #1.

I woke back up on my own - AT 11:15!!!! ACK! What happened to my morning?? Well, I decided not to fret and just appreciate the amount of rest I'd had. I immediately got dressed in my "going to the gym" outfit- and headed straight for my laptop to get a bit of work done before heading out. Needless to say, I got on a roll with registering for online nanny services, looking for work on Craigslist, creating a budget spreadsheet, cleaning out my inbox.... yadda... yadda...... yadda.

Next thing I know - it's 3:30 pm and I haven't showered. Well - considering I had to be in Brooklyn by 6:30 pm and it's an hour train ride just to get there, I figured that the gym was out. Then... something inside of me just snapped. (in a good way... not the Britney Spears way.) I realized that too many days had I let the thought of "well, I guess I missed my window" deter me from gym time. Even though I knew for a fact that I wouldn't have enough time to get my scheduled 3 mile run in, I felt like any gym time was better than NO gym time!

So I hopped in the shower, got completely ready for babysitting - threw a quick gym bag together - and headed out the door. I went to the Bally's gym that's on the way to Brooklyn, changed like lightening in the locker room... and I managed to get in a hard core 2 mile run! If there was ever a moment, no matter how small, where I felt like holding up some "V for Victory" arms - it was that moment.

In the end, I quickly changed back, spritzed on some fruity Bath and Body Works scent, brushed the sweat out of my hair (which would then dry on the subway and not look too gross), and got on the train. I even made it babysitting a few minutes early.

One small victory for gym go-ers, one giant leap for a girl who often deters herself!

Here's to many more victories :)

Your slowly getting better at this runner,
Kelly

No comments: