Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Changing up the workout

Yesterday, I decided to change up my training plan a bit. I'm realizing that running everyday is not only boring, but rather taxing on my body. So instead, I"ve decided to follow the plan of running; cross training; running; weight training; running; cross training; OFF. Sounds good right? :)

Well - it is good... except I didn't realize how HARD the weight training part would be! You see, I've done several different weight training programs throughout the past several years... but none that focused on long, lean muscles. I would do the typical bicep curls, or the basic bench press, etc. Yesterday, I decided to try one of those workouts that are published in "Shape" magazine. It involved a "Bosu Ball" (one of those half dome shaped balance things... google it, you'll see) and a weighted bar.

Mind you, I could go into detail and tell you the exact workout I did... but that would most likely bore you all. I will simply tell you that I was sweating more than I EVER have while doing a non-cardio workout!! I couldn't believe the amount of muscle control this workout required. Holy moly! So for anyone, who like me, just reads those workouts and doesn't try them... go for it! It's TOTALLY worth it! Bikini body - here I come! Or, at least... not-really-bikini-body-but-bathing-suit-body-that-I-don't-hate - here I come! :)

For today, it's back to the gym for a run. We up to 4 miles for today. I can do the 6.2 (10K) - but I'm still getting back on track, so there's no need to push it. I'm right on track for Week 2 of my 10-week training schedule for the half-marathon. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!


Your Bosu loving runner,
Kelly


Countdown to Half-Marathon: 61 days
Countdown to Marathon: 260 days

No comments: