Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fighting my own thoughts

Well, I'm finishing up week 1 of my marathon training and so far, I'm right on target. However, I have discovered what may be my biggest obstacle: MY MIND.

I'm not referring to my mind while running, as I'm actually able to stay pretty focused on my running form. I'm referring to my state of mind when I wake up in the morning - or the state of my mind a few hours before I'm supposed to start a run. My mind is a vicious, self-centered, cruel being that tells me all the reasons why I shouldn't run:

"Your knees will hurt."
"You don't really know how to correctly run with this new running technique - why bother?"
"Sleeping would be so much better for you."
"No one will care if you don't run today."
"C'mon... you can skip a day. It's fine!"

and the worst one... "You're never going to able to actually finish that marathon. Stop wasting your time."

This is what my mind says to me before runs. But so far, I have told my mind to shut up, and I've managed to get out for those runs. I've just got to keep trying... and hopefully my mind will start coming along for the joy ride that is running.

Now... I'm off for a 7 mile run. Hooray!

Signed,
Your crazy minded runner,
Kelly


Countdown to NYC Marathon: 119 days!

No comments: