Thursday, November 6, 2008

My story begins! (my online story, that is...)

The name is Morris. Kelly Morris.

In a little less than one year from today, I will be running the 2009 ING New York City Marathon!

[the crowd goes wild]

Of course, it will be my first marathon. Thus my title: a virgin marathon runner. Be gentle!

As of this date, this exact moment, I have no idea how I'm going to manage such a race. I do not have an official training plan, no personal trainer, and frankly - no CLUE what I am doing. I know that I love to run and that thanks to the NYRR 9-race guaranteed entry plan - I WILL be running the 2009 marathon!!

For those that don't know, NYRR stands for New York Road Runner, the running club here in NYC. I joined on January 1, 2008 - knowing that if I ran 9 races with them in the calendar year, I would be automatically enrolled in the 2009 ING New York City Marathon. Well, I ran 7 qualifying races (before I left the city for 4 months to perform at the PA Renaissance Faire - www.parenfaire.com) and have already signed up for a remaining 3 races this year! (One extra race, just to ensure there is no problem!!)

So, as I was running today at the gym, I came up with the idea of this blog. I want to share my experience with anyone who'd like come along for the "run." This post has three purposes:

1: To keep me accountable for my training - no matter where I'm located!
2: To inform my friends and family - and anyone else interested - how I'm doing preparing for "my first time." :)
3: To receive advice from experience runners and encouragement from anyone willing to offer it!

I hope you enjoy... "Diary of a Virgin Marathon Runner!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, that is very cool. I will be there running it as well. I got in but I had to pass on it the last two years because of campaigns but I WILL run it in 2009.

I am very excited for you.... and for me. :)