Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New shoes.. and a 10-mile run!!!

UPDATE! I finally bought new running shoes and boy what a difference they make! No more heel pain, no knee pain, and any discomfort that I feel in the initial stages of the run passes away as quickly as I feel it. I had no idea shoes could make such a difference!

For those who are interested, the shoes I bought are Asics GEL-Kayano 15. They are AMAZING. Heck - they even have their own website! Feel free to check it out: My awesome shoes!

I will say it took a good two runs (short runs) to break them in, as they were a bit sore in the toe on my first run. However, I was running on a treadmill, which is unusual for me these days. I was able to fully break in the shoes on an outdoor trail run.

Speaking of outdoor trail runs... (drum roll, please)....

I RAN 10 MILES YESTERDAY!!!!

Yup, that's right. I broke my own record for distance. It was my first time ever hitting double digits in mileage - and it felt great! I was a little worried at first, as the first three miles were a bit rough, but after that I just hit my stride and felt like I was coasting the rest of the way. I'm starting to notice that no matter what distance I run, the first three miles are my most difficult. If I know that ahead of time, I think I will be less inclined to "worry" about why I'm struggling at first.

Post-run, I had actually received a bit of advice from a cousin of mine who is a devoted runner. She recommended that I drink a serving of full-fat chocolate milk within 30-45 minutes after the run. Following this advice, though milk never would have been my personal choice, I stopped at the gas station on my way back from the running trail. I saw the lowfat milk options, and the only "full fat" option was this "CHUG - Creamy Chocolate Milkshake" I will be honest in saying that I would have NEVER picked this up of my own volition. In 12 ounces of liquid, it had 420 calories!!!! But, on the flip side, it had more protein than any of the other milk drinks, a little fiber, and the right kind of fats. I bought it, blindly following my cousin's advice...

It was the most heavenly thing I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. :)

And ironically enough, coupled with the two ibuprofen I took afterwards, I never had any pain, soreness, or swelling - and I actually wasn't hungry until 6 pm that night! (I drank the shake at 11 am). I made sure to keep hydrating throughout the day, and then went out for a nice dinner that night. But, wow! Who would have thought crazy creamy chocolate milk could have been so good for me in that situation?! Apparently, my cousin did - and she was right. :) Thanks, Caroline!

I have to say, running 10 miles was the first time in a while that I found that I have inspired myself. I feel renewed in my running ambitions now and I can't wait for next week's 11 mile run. I'm all positive now in my running statements, and looking forward to crossing that marathon finish line in November. I know I will - and I know it will be glorious!

I leave you all with my positive paragraph - an exercise that I was asked to do in my "Marathon Training Guide for Non-Runners." I carry this with me at all times:

"I am a marathoner. I love to run and I run EVERY training run. I am in great shape now and my legs look AMAZING! I own the world when I run in the mornings and I feel energized and strong when I finish each run. I love to tell people that I am a runner and I am proud of my accomplishments. I am a marathoner!"

Signed,
Kelly.... the marathoner

No comments: